About Joywell Foods
Joywell Foods’ mission is to help people eat better & live better - while still loving their favorite foods.
From 1988 to 2016, US morbid obesity grew from 23% to 40%. The prevalence of sugar in the American food landscape has resulted in more than 100M pre-diabetics/diabetics. Sugar, in all its forms, is among the chief culprits. Joywell is a food technology & consumer goods company that is focused on solving that problem by unlocking the power of plant-based, sweet proteins in our favorite foods. The result? Far fewer calories, protein-based digestion with no glycolic affect or health unknowns & still, the same great tastes we all love!
Founded by an amazing scientist out of Cal Berkeley, 7-years of R&D under our belts, on the cusp of commercialization & backed by top-tier Silicon Valley investor Khosla Ventures & food-industry investor Evolv Ventures — Joywell is primed for success. Come join us to help consumers have their cake & eat it too.
Joywell Foods is searching for a hands-on Laboratory Manager to join our R&D team. This role will support the research and development of our fermentation-based sweet protein platform. The ideal candidate will have a background in molecular biology, microbiology or chemical engineering. The Lab Manager will have a multifaceted leadership stake in facilities management, safety & compliance and lab operations. This position will require high level knowledge of activities in all functional research groups to understand and address the lab’s needs and opportunities.
- Ensuring the smooth day-to-day functioning of a 20-plus scientist research company.
- Be the contact person for vendors, maintenance and janitorial contractors as well as site inspectors.
- Arranging all lab purchasing, shipping and receiving and organizing all lab deliveries into respective lab areas.
- Maintaining excellent relations with vendors and collaborators and serve as their point of contact.
- Maintain the lab’s chemical inventory and ensure that all chemicals are properly labeled, stored, and disposed.
- Being the company's "go-to" person to rapidly address and resolve any lab-related issues.
- Ensure that our scientists have the administrative and logistical support to do their jobs to the best of their abilities.
- Ensure the lab is clean, organized, and set up to maximize R&D productivity.
- Ensure equipment, machinery, and instrumentation is working properly through maintenance, calibration, and certification.
- Purchase and install new lab equipment.
- Maintain lab documentation such as SDS sheets, equipment maintenance history and hazardous materials inventory.
- Manage supply storage so that materials are easily accessible and ensure that the lab is always stocked with important supplies.
- Establishing master files of record keeping relating to equipment, consumables, safety training.
- Assist in R&D operational activities as needed ie. autoclaving, reagent and media preparation.
- Lead the management of space and equipment/furniture purchasing, receiving, set-up and maintenance.
- Be responsible for facility and environmental safety functions, facility security as well as general lab operation logistics management.
- Work with building facilities to ensure the lab meets relevant safety standards, and scientists are trained on relevant safety procedures.
- Interact with scientists on a regular basis to support scientific projects and company operating compliances
- Responsible for leading the company’s Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) program for both research and technical operations.
- Establishing, updating and maintenance of employee and environmental safety programs and training.
- Maintain compliance with all industry-specific regulations related to laboratory safety, biohazard materials, chemical waste, and environmental waste.
- Prepare and conduct general and site-specific safety trainings for employees and maintain training records.
- Maintain an inventory of computing systems in the office and lab space, while providing and installing electronics to new employees.
- Troubleshoot wireless internet connectivity, routers, and maintain relationships with IT support service providers.
- Take ownership and organization of cloud drives for multiple functional groups.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in molecular biology, microbiology, or chemical engineering
- 2+ years experience supporting lab operations as a lab manager, technician or research associate
- Solid understanding of laboratory operations and EH&S protocols.
- Excellent communication and organization.
- Can-do attitude, excited to take on new tasks and learn new things with the mindset of “no job is too big or small”
- A deep understanding of current biological research lab safety protocols.
- A proactive, problem-solving attitude.
- Experience using Quartzy, Zageno, Benchling or other lab management software.
- Experience in IT support for lab instrumentation and computing needs.
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical applications and work independently under pressure of deadlines and a fast paced, high throughput team environment.
- Able to lift 30 pounds.
This is a hands-on position that will require the incumbent to be onsite full-time in the Davis HQ location.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about our mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.